Wednesday 18 February 2015

Reflections For Singapore Open 2015

The day I had been waiting for, and it was over in a blink of an eye. Singapore Open 2015 was the thing that I had been training for.

At about 8:20am, speedcubers had started to crowd the lecture theatre.

Lots of people ranging from young to old - as if it was a family outing.
Lots of Rubik's cubes - which look like many colourful toy buildings.
Lots of chit chats - discussing about cubes and the speedcubing community.

The event kicked off with 3x3 Round 1. Surprisingly, my first solve set my official PB, and I had a great Round 1. While waiting for the Round 1 result, I started to warm up with my 5x5 cube which was the next event. At the same time, I walked around the theatre to make new friends.

As expected, I only manage to do 2 solves for 5x5. However, I was happy with my results. At last, the 3x3 Round 1 results came out, and I was so elated that I had proceeded to the semi-final; I was positioned at 28 out of 32 semi-finalists.

After a quick bite, I prepared myself for the 2x2 event. Besides aiming to set my official PB for it, I also hope to go into the final. It turned out that I was able to beat my PB, but I finished at 11th place, losing my chance to get into the 2x2 final (there were only 8 finalists).

For 4x4 events, the cut-off time was lowered to 1m 10s which might ruin my chance to complete my average. Little did I know that things would turn out differently. I not only managed to do 5 solves, I even set my personal PB for 4x4 - 59.91 seconds (my 1st sub 1).

My "bonus event" - the 3x3 Semi-final had arrived. Going against the top speedcubers in the region, I did not stand a chance against them. I got an average of 16.36 seconds. However, I truly enjoyed the experience.

The highlight of the competition is the 3x3 final where every millisecond counts. It was so exciting and thrilling!!

How I wish that I am able to participate in the 3x3 finals... (when pigs fly)

No comments:

Post a Comment